Friday, September 18, 2009

The great art of life is sensation, to feel that we exist, even in pain. --Lord Byron

Recently I had a flat tire on my car. I was driving it at the time and didn't realize it was flat and kept driving for quite a while (ruined the tire). In case you are wondering (like my poor husband), yes, something didn't feel right. I did think something was wrong, but I am one of those paranoid people that frequently feel like the car doesn't feel right. I have pulled over countless times to "check" the car only to see nothing wrong. So I didn't pull over to check until I reached my destination a few miles away. (I really am a good driver! Please don't think ill of me from this lapse in judgment!)

Besides the strange noise and bumpy ride, there was another clue. The other drivers all had this blank look on their face. I passed a jogger and he had it too. It's the face you get when you know something is wrong but you don't have time to react. It's kind of a wide-eyed, mouth ajar, staring look.

But this is my UC blog, so what does this experience have to do with it? Well, on occasion I have found myself in a public place when the urgent need to find a bathroom presents itself. It doesn't matter where I am or what I am doing, once I get the feeling, finding a bathroom is the only thing I can concentrate on. Very quickly, I go into a state of shock and then panic and then survival mode. When I saw those other drivers with their shocked faces it made me wonder if that's how I look when I urgently have to go. What do you think? Is there such a thing as the "UC Urgent Need Face"?

2 comments:

  1. LOL I definetly there is a face! My husband can just look at me, and know what he needs to start looking for. Also, when I worked in the operating room, all you can see are each other's eyes, and everyone would look at me, and ask if I was alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG yes..I often wonder what I look like when I realise what's about to happen, but my kids and husband just know and then it's a case of where's the closest and how long have we got before there's trouble. London and Monaco are my favourite toilet places so far this year...loads around everywhere.

    ReplyDelete